The University Museum and Art Gallery aspires to generate artistic and cultural experiences that are accessible to people in all walks of life. We seek to encourage greater appreciation of the arts and nature a stronger sense of cultural values within the Hong Kong community.
The University Museum and Art Gallery believes in the power of art to improve the quality of life. Through our collection and activities, we are dedicated to educating the public about the past and present of Chinese and other cultures, and to stimulating life-long learning through both formal and informal education.
- Maintaining a high standard in its exhibitions and education activities
- Providing access to its collections and services for the teaching , study and research of Chinese art and culture
- Developing its collections and services to meet the needs of the University and the community
- Linking artists, collectors, museum professionals and interested organizations to enhance its collections, exhibitions and educational activities
- Becoming a leader in the promotion of art education in Hong Kong
- Bridging HKU and the community
- Dedicated professional staff with expertise in Chinese and Western art
- Committed and supportive Museum Society
- A collection of Chinese arts
- Elegant and historic heritage building
We want to foster art education for everyone, from students to art collectors.
– Dr. Florian Knothe, Museum Director
To be a world class teaching museum in Asia by bringing east and west together.
Building on its strengths and enhancing four areas of programming
- Kindergarden through professional
- Special attention to groups of elderly, underprivileged and physcially challenged
- Workshops that introduce different art forms
- individual student supervision
For me, this was a great opportunity to know about museum operations in Hong Kong. I really appreciate your sharing during the walk.
– A Chinese museum professional
- Exhibitions with an educational anchor
- International appeal
- Introduce art and culture new to Hong Kong
- Bring Museum’s Chinese collection to the world
UMAG is seeking greater recognition – in Hong Kong and internationally – by bringing Asian topics abroad and European topics here.
- Exhibition catalogues and books
- Trade publications
- Enhance online presence of exhibition
- Increase intern positions
- Encourage students form diverse disciplines
- Create more University credit-bearing opportunities
- Invite one fellow per year
Thank you very much for giving me such opportunity to gain experience in cataloging and work with UMAG staff.
– HKU Fine Arts Student and 2014 UMAG summer intern
Donations in any amout are welcome.
Endowment will be professionally managed as a separate account under HKU Foundation Finance Office (est.1995)
Annual Interest (above bank deposit rate)