Boat Trip: North Lantau and Soko Islands 北大嶼山及索罟群島 With Dr Wong Fook-yee 王福義 and Mr To Ka Yan 杜嘉恩
Our annual boat trip takes us to yet another fascinating area of Hong Kong. This time we take our boat from Tung Chung Ferry Pier and go to North Lantau and Soko Islands(北大嶼山及索罟群島).
1. Start from Tung Chung Pier ;
2. From the boat, view the Hong Kong Boundary Crossing Facilities (香港口岸) and the Tuen Mun Chek Lap Kok Link (屯鬥至赤鱲角連接路) ( under construction) ;
3. Pass through the newly designated Brothers Marine Park (大小磨刀海岸公園) and associated Islands;
4. Look at the construction works of the Third Runway (第三跑道) from our boat;
5. Pass through Sha Chau and Lung Kwu Chau Marine Park (沙洲及龍鼓洲海岸公園);
6. Pass under the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge (港珠澳大橋);
7. Visit Tai O (大澳) and watch for Chinese White Dolphins (中華白海豚) on the way if any;
8. A simple lunch at Tai O;
9. Go to Soko Islands (索罟群島) – the sea area is being proposed to be a new Marine Park for the conservation of dolphins and finless porpoises;
10. Land at Tai A Chau (大鴉洲) and visit the old Vietnamese Refugee Camp, and the deserted village;
11. Return to Central.
Dr. Wong Fook-yee (王福義) is an avid hiker and nature lover. He was formerly the Assistant Director of Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department of Hong Kong (Country and Marine Park Branch), and is now Honorary Associate Professor of the Geography Department at The University of Hong Kong.
Mr. To Ka Yan (杜嘉恩) – a geographer and geomorphologist, formerly a teacher trainer specializing in geographical and environmental education, serving as Senior Lecturer in the then Hong Kong Institute of Education.