Originally built to house the Supreme Court of Hong Kong, construction of the Legislative Council Building started in 1900 and it was officially opened in 1912. After the relocation of the Supreme Court in 1978 and some internal conversion works, it was declared an historical building in 1984 under the Antiquities and Monuments Ordinance. In 1985, it became the Legislative Council Building.
During our visit, we will be given an introduction of the workings of the Council as well as a tour of the different facilities and highlights of the architectural features of this landmark building. We shall also meet Pauline Ng, Secretary General of the Legislative Council Secretariat, who is responsible for overseeing the support services of the Legislative Council. She also advises the President of the Legislative Council on all procedural and administrative matters. Pauline joined the LegCo Secretariat in 1994 after having worked in the Government for 20 years.
In 1999, Pauline received the Chief Executive's Commendation for Government/Public Service. She is currently the President of the Zonta Club of Hong Kong, Honorary Advisor to the Hong Kong Quality Management Association, Projects Director of the Action for Vision Eye Foundation, Director of the Project Vision Foundation and member of a number of charitable trusts. In her spare time, she is an accomplished painter and is also an art enthusiast.