Sham Shui Po is one of the oldest districts in urban Kowloon. Located north of Boundary Street, it became part of British Kowloon after 1898. It developed into an industrial, commercial and residential district in the early 20th century. The Tin Hau Temple, the Police Station and Mei Ho House, the first generation of resettlement buildings in Hong Kong all bear witness to the reclamation and development of Sham Shui Po in the past 100 years. Many of the best preserved tenement buildings are found here, some of which are graded. In the nearby Sham Shui Po Park, on which the former Prisoners of War Camp stood, there are two memorials dedicated to the Canadian soldiers who sacrificed their life for the defense of Hong Kong during the Japanese invasion in December 1941.
Dr. Joseph Ting (丁新豹博士) majored in Chinese Literature and Chinese History and graduated from HKU in 1974. He was conferred an MPhil in 1979 and a PhD in 1989, both from HKU. Dr. Ting joined the HK Museum of Art as an Assistant Curator in 1979 and was appointed Chief Curator of the HK Museum of History in 1995. He retired in 2007 after serving 28 years. He is currently an Honorary Assistant Professor in the School of Chinese at The University of Hong Kong, as well as an Adjunct Professor in the Department of History at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
He is Honorary Advisor to many art and cultural institutions, including the University Museum and Art Gallery in HKU, the HK Museum of Art, the HK Museum of History, the Shenzhen Museum and Guangdong Provincial Museum. He is also a Member of the Antiquities Advisory Board, the Lord Wilson Heritage Trust and the Education Bureau of Hong Kong, an Honorary Fellow of the HKU and Hong Kong Institute of Education, and was an Honorary Research Fellow at the Centre of Asian Studies.